Friday 19 September 2014

If done early, and many of you are or will be

Something very exciting happens today. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights opens today here in Winnipeg. The content of the museum and the building itself has been the topic of much discussion.  Explore the official website. Of particular interest to me was the blog of personal stories and they have a section in the blog featuring Children Rights. In that section there is the story of Garabed Haroutounian who as a teenager survived the Armenian Genocide and found refuge in Manitoba. Do you know about the Armenian Genocide? Hitler is famously quoted as saying he wasn't worried what people would think about his Holocaust plans, because nobody remembers or seems to care about the Armenian Genocide. What caught your interest on the CMHR website?

"First they came for the Jews"


 
In Germany they first came for the Communists

  and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
  and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists
  and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics
  and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me
  and by that time no one was left to speak up.
 

--The Reverend Martin Niemöller, a pastor in the German Confessing Church who spent seven years in a concentration camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment